RupandehiNovember 21, 2017
Rupandehi lies in Lumbini Zone in Province 5 of Nepal. Bhairahawa is the district headquarter. The district, with an area of 1,360 sq. km is divided into 69 VDCs and two municipalities. Rupandehi has 163,916 households with a total population of 880,196.
Economic and Financial Landscape
Agriculture (including livestock and poultry), cottage industries and trading are the main economic activities of the district. 82.6% of the population reported agriculture as the major source of income. Among the registered small and cottage industries, majority of the industries work in the production sector, followed by the service sector and then the tourism sector.
The district is served by 135 different branches of ‘A’ Class Commercial Banks, 94 different branches of ‘B’ Class Development Banks, and 13 different branches of ‘C’ Class Finance Companies. The population served per branch is 4,151 against the national average of 8,960. This indicates the need to further expand the outreach of financial services and facilities to the unbanked population of the area.
Rupandehi’s total population comprises of about 15.9% Brahmins, 10.7% Magar, 9.63% Tharu, 8.23% Muslim followed by many others, in terms of caste and ethnicity. Women in Rupandehi are mostly confined to farming and household activities, and are less involved in major economic activities. This has led to practices like early marriage and dowry system. There is a lack of easy access to loan for women farmers. Subsidy to women to adopt new technologies hasn’t been introduced till date. Due to seasonal migration and involvement of women mostly in household activities, the area faces labour shortage in agriculture. Introduction of technologies that reduce the need of labour should be made accessible to women. A key aim of Sakchyam is to increase the access to financial services and products which also facilitate mechanisation of agriculture and facilities to empower women and other disadvantaged groups of the area.
Sakchyam’s Ongoing Interventions
Delivery Channel Innovations
- The programme has been able to reach the unbanked population of the district by establishing BLB Touch Points in partnership with BOK (one BLB), Everest Bank (one BLB) and Macchapucchre Bank (four BLBs).
- Also, two tablets have been introduced by NUBL in the district.
Value Chain Financing Innovations
- Laxmi Bank has launched Tractor Loan targeting farmers in Rupandehi. They have also introduced Sakchyam Udhyami Karja, Micro Mortgage, E-Rickshaw and Livestock Loan in the district.
- To increase financial access for rural poor, one branch of BOK has been established in the district.
Financial Literacy Initiatives
- Janautthan has been using flip chart, videos and financial literacy manuals for carrying out different financial Literacy activities.
- Nerude is using flip chart, videos to promote financial literacy to their clients and potential clients.
- Janautthan has launched ‘Energy Loan’ in different branches in the district.
- The programme is providing Dedicated ARM support to Machhapuchhre Bank, Sanima Bank and Laxmi Bank in the district.