JumlaNovember 21, 2017
Jumla lies in Karnali Zone in Province 6 of Nepal. Jumla is the district headquarter. The district, with an area of 2,531 sq. km is divided into 30 VDCs. Jumla has 19,303 households with a total population of 108,921 (Male 54,898 & Female 54,023). Motorable road access is available only to the district headquarter.
Economic and Financial Landscape
Agriculture (including livestock and poultry), cottage industries and trading are the main economic activities of the district. Agriculture forms the major source of income for about 94.56 percent of households. Among the small and cottage industries registered, majority work in the service and agriculture and wildlife sector.
The district is served by eighteen different branches of ‘A’ Class Commercial Banks, and two branches of ‘B’ Class Development Banks. The population served per branch is 5,990 against the national average of 8,960. This indicates the need to further expand the outreach of financial services and facilities to the unbanked population of the area.
The population of Jumla comprises of about 60.24 percent Chhetris, 10.95 percent Brahmin, 7.4 percent Thakuri, followed by smaller shares of other groups, in terms of caste/ethnicity. Bonded labour, referred as Lagi, Haliya or Badikae, is still practised in Jumla. Chhaupadi is practised in Sinja valley and surrounding areas. Women literacy rate stands at 41 percent while the overall literacy rate is 55 percent, indicating women are still behind in educational opportunities. A key focus of Sakchyam is to increase the access to financial services and facilities for the rural poor of the district and particularly for women and other DAGs.
Sakchyam’s Ongoing Interventions
Delivery Channel Innovations
- The programme has been able to reach the unbanked population of the district through the distribution of tablets in partnerships with KMF and NUBL.
- To increase financial access for rural poor, two branches of KMF, one branch of Shikhar Insurance and one branch of NIBL has been established in the district.
Financial Literacy Initiatives
- NUBL is conducting financial literacy campaign in the district through Centre Meeting Modules and financial literacy videos.
- Shikhar Insurance has been conducting door-to-door campaign to increase awareness on weather index insurance.
- Launch of WII and Livestock Insurance in partnership with Shikhar Insurance Company.