Connecting the rural poor, disadvantaged groups (DAGs), youth and women to formal financial services to enable them with choices to save, borrow, invest, and earn is one of the core objectives of UKaid Sakchyam Access to Finance Programme (Sakchyam). While enhancing access to finance for people living in the remote and inaccessible regions is the immediate goal of Sakchyam, its replicability and sustainability long-term are key. Thus, Sakchyam promotes sustainable, efficient, and tailored products, services and intervention that create a win-win situation for both the service provider – Financial Institutions and their beneficiaries (clients).
Microfinance operation is becoming competitive and costly day by day due to high cost of fund and low profitability. Keeping operation cost low and efficient delivery of financial services have become major challenges to the microfinance institutions. Manual operating system, inefficient MIS, large number of human resource involved in the operation, time consuming transaction management and lack of innovation in the product and services are few factors for high cost and low profitability for the MFIs.
Kisan Bahuudyasiya Sahakari Sanstha Limited (KBBSL) piloted tablet banking by implementing “Kisan Tablet Banking for Enlargement of Microfinance” project with Sakchyam. The success of the first project encouraged KBBSL to replicate and scale up the digital service delivery channel for entire operation offering better financial services to its client.
Through this project KBBSL plans to conduct all their center meeting transactions with the use of tablet. They also plan to establish Point of Sales (PoS) in all of its branch and introduce cards to ensure instant cash for the microfinance clients.
- Convert 2,400 center’s transaction paperless by use of tablets
- 7,000 new beneficiaries to be enrolled and 50,000 clients to be benefitted with the introduction of digital service delivery channel (tablet banking)
- NPR 423 million loan to be unlocked
- More than 600 business loans to be promoted
- 5,500 clients to be provided with financial literacy
As of March 2019, Kisan Cooperative has,
- Reached 7 municipalities in one district
- Reached 2,010 customers and almost all are women
- Disbursed a total of NPR 173.7 million in loans, all to women customers exclusively
- Collected deposits of over NPR 180 million